Hello from Sunny Manchester

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Sunny Manchester

Post  Flapperoon on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:35 pm

Hello to all.

Recently had delivered ProQ Excel for my birthday. Read up loads and loads before I conducted my first smoke. Purchased Thermapen and Maverick thermometers and then finally took the plunge and bought 7 lbs of brisket (trimmed weight - with decent amount of fat left on) and a rack of spare ribs. Added a rub on the Thursday evening and then excitedly waited until Sunday morning to crank the smoker up. I thought I would go straight in for the minion method.

I used a torchlight as it was still dark at 5.30am but I had the brisket on by 6am and then the ribs at 12pm. All seemed to go well except I had a bit of panic at after about 4 or 5 hours. The internal temperature of the brisket had risen to 161F but an hour later had dropped to 157 F. I thought the oven might have to be an option to get up to 190 F. The brisket would not rise in temperature. After much searching on the net I found out about the 'barbecue stall' http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html Sure enough the temp of the brisket rose after a long delay and by about 4.30pm I took the brisket and ribs of the smoker and wrapped in foil. My girlfriend was sceptical all through this that it would be worth it but after an hour of resting I served the food to my family with a selection of sides - the consensus was the food was damned fine - even my girlfriend is converted.

Thoughts - Minion method worked a treat - the ProQ was still firing away on 5kg of briquettes 11 hours after lighting. After smoking I was able to cook a few burgers and chicken pieces for the kids using as a traditional BBQ. The temperature did fluctuate quite a bit but I was able to clean my chickens out, wash my car, do some shopping and go for a walk at various times throughout the day whilst the food was smoking - Oh and the sun was out in Manchester!

Hot Smoking - I flippin love it!!!!!!

Flapperoon
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hi Flapperoon

Post  Guest on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Good to hear you had a good time and enjoyed your Brisket and Ribs and finished off with a bit of grilling. So i take it from what i have read you are all hooked on smoking the low and slow way now.
Well dont forget to keep us posted of any other smokes you are going to do.

happy smoking
paul

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top