Brisket & Chuck Combo

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brisket & Chuck Combo

Post  Blaq Sun on Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:47 pm

OK after a long day and constant worry about smoke leakage the meat is done. It turned out quite well i thought Very Happy

2 main pieces were a 2.3 KGS piece of brisket (it is all the butcher had left) and a 2.5 KGS piece of chuck (butchers recommendation).

Starting with spraying down the meat with a mix of worcester sauce, apple juice and JD, I rubbed down both pieces of meat with French's yellow mustard, before applying the rub. The rub consisted of (approximately, i never measure when i cook) ...

Paprika - 1 cup
Sea Salt - 1 cup
Pepper - 4 tablespoons
Garlic Powder - 4 tablespoons
Light Brown Sugar - 1 cup
Onion Powder - 2 tablespoons
Coriander Powder - 1 tablespoons
Chili Powder (I had run out of cayenne) - 1 tablespoon
Cumin - 1 tablespoon

After leaving it to soak in the flavours overnight, i injected with coke, about 2 - 3 cups in each piece of meat just before going into the smoker ...

On the grill ...

Flipping it over after about 4 hours ...

Finished ... slices of brisket ... quite pleased with the smoke penetration

Slices of chuck, pleased with that also ...

And the spuds ... apparently the best spuds i have ever made according to my gf Smile

There were also some chicken wings which got splashed with balsalmic vinegar, rubbed down with a similar rub to that used on the meat but with only garlic, coriander, cumin, paprika and sea salt. Then mopped to hell and back with Pleasure and Pain's scotch bonnet & lime chili sauce.

Finally a shoulder of lamb, hit it with worcester sauce then a mix of apple, lime and mango juice, then rubbed down with olive oil, sea salt, garlic paste and then fresh rosemary, thyme and coriander, left to marinade overnight ... squeezed the juice of one lime and the zest went with the other herbs, just before smoking. All the herbs were on the fatty side of the meat and when it went on the grill it went herb side down.

Sadly there are no pictures of those. I started smoking late ... around about 2 -3 pm ... so it didnt get brought in till gone midnight easy ... i dont know what time it actually was since by that point i had gotten so tired from my day i just stopped caring ... lol Smile)

I learned a lot doing this smoke ... primarily not to try too many different things at the same time, since the variety of of different meats means more maintenance and less relaxation time. I also learned quite a lot about the types of wood and how they smoke ... the pellets i started off with was a mesquite and oak mix. They smoked out quite quickly so then i switched to oak chips soaked in whicsky & water. They obviously smoked longer but then i ended up using more than i thought i would need.

I ran out of charcoal as well ... lesson learned ... a bag and a half of cocoshell is not enough to do a long cook. I ended up having to use hickory chunks which i had soaking all day as a back up ... they gave the longest and best smoke ... no doubt annoyed my neighbour.

Anyway i would love any crticisms and feedback as my aim is to improve on every smoke ... my next one is happening on september 24th when i will be cooking for 40 ppl, i will be doing a single type of meat, most likely a large brisket.

I love strong flavours and so do all my friends so please bear that in mind Smile

Hope you enjoy the pix as much as i enjoy the food.

Thanks,

Q.
PS Sorry about the poor quality of the pix, taken on my phone Smile

Blaq Sun
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brisket & Chuck Combo

Post  Mike_P_in_Tucson on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:49 pm

It sure looks like everything came out well. Nice smoke rings. Only things I can say are, always make sure you have enough charcoal and mesquite is better for adding smoke flavor when you are grilling. It can be overpowering when used on a long smoke. And, if possible, use wood chunks instead of chips -- they obviously last longer.

Doing only one type of meat is almost always best. If i were to do two, it would be brisket and pork shoulder (butt), since the time requirement (about 1 1/2 hours per pound) is about the same.

If I were doing a cook for 40 people, I would do pork butts, 3 or 4 if they are around 7 to 8 pounds each. That is the easiest (harder to screw up) meat to cook.

Mike_P_in_Tucson
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-06-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blaq Sun on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:51 pm

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the feedback Smile I will definitely be focussing on doing one meet at a time from now on. Also with you on the chunks, i saw how they were way better than chips when i ran out of the chips ... lol. Got lots of cocoshell for my next smoke (6 x 5kgs bags) and hope to do a large brisket in a couple of weekends time Smile

I didnt realise mesquite is better for grilling, will bear that in mind, still working through the different woods and finding out which ones i like. Got some applewood and cherry lined up for next month ... nice big chunks.

Once again thanks for the feedback, much appreciated Smile

Blaq Sun
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_P_in_Tucson on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:38 am

Apple is good to use with pork butts. I usually use cherry and oak when doing pork ribs. I use chunks about 3 inches square, or thereabouts.

Mike_P_in_Tucson
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-06-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top