macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Attempt at Smoking - Worked out Good!

3 posters

Go down

First Attempt at Smoking - Worked out Good! Empty First Attempt at Smoking - Worked out Good!

Post  deSade Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Hi Guys,

Did my first one today - just a first timer whole chicken, but it taught me a lot. I think my main problem was using just lumpwood, on a 4 hour smoke I had to add coals a couple of times to keep the temp at 230. I will try some cocoshell brickets next time.

But the chicken turned out great - 3 hours with some cherry wood chucked on at the start & a couple of times through the cook. I can't praise the Pro Q Frontier enough, it cooked the food perfectly - I even did a couple of Salmon fillets for my wife on it at the end, and she loved them.

Next stop, pulled pork. Very Happy

deSade
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

First Attempt at Smoking - Worked out Good! Empty Re: First Attempt at Smoking - Worked out Good!

Post  Mack Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:14 am

Excellent! I'm sure you're going to love the Pulled Pork.
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

First Attempt at Smoking - Worked out Good! Empty Re: First Attempt at Smoking - Worked out Good!

Post  deSade Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:29 pm

I'm certainly looking forward to either the pork shoulder or brisket!

For me, even though the chicken turned out really nicely, I'm not convinced that chicken lends itself to smoking that well - it's quite a delicate meat that can get a bit overtaken by the smokey taste (maybe I used a bit too much Cherry, or that's not the best wood for chicken/me!!).

That's why I want to try pork/beef - I imagine (also from a few tastes on my times in the States) that it is much more suitable for smoking, as it's got a more robust flavour anyway. I could be wrong though - but doubt I'll do chicken again.

deSade
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_P_in_Tucson Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Let me suggest you try pork for your next smoke. Brisket is the hardest meat to smoke, pork is much more forgiving. I think apple is a good wood to use on pork.

Mike_P_in_Tucson
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  deSade Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Cheers Mike - I think I will try the pork next (on a side, it's a pity I never got to Tucson - had my honeymoon in Tempe, AZ 18 years ago, but never got around to going there. Did I miss a good City?).

Ian & all - I was wondering about the Coca Cola inject - is it just for moisture/taste, or does it somehow break down the fibres in the meat a bit as well?

deSade
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_P_in_Tucson Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:21 pm

deSade,

Yes, you missed a great city and area. If you dare, check my blog about things to see and do around here:

http://www.mikepintucson.blogspot.com/

I seldom inject, so can't help you there.

Mike_P_in_Tucson
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:38 pm

deSade wrote:Ian & all - I was wondering about the Coca Cola inject - is it just for moisture/taste, or does it somehow break down the fibres in the meat a bit as well?
Taste and helps break down tough fibres.
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down