macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First attempt questions

3 posters

Go down

First attempt questions Empty First attempt questions

Post  Canyoufixitdad Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi everyone,

My wife bought me an Amigo smoker for my birthday last week (bless her... Very Happy ) from your shop and I was wondering if you could answer me a couple of questions please ?

1. Does the thermometer in the lid have to be calibrated or is it ready to rock 'n' roll ?
2. Wood chips, wet or dry ?
3. I'm thinking about doing a brisket, so I've read that it's going to be a few hours depending on certain factors. But do I put one lot of wood chips in a foil bag
then change them during the cook after a few hours or just stick with the one parcel throughout ?
4. How much water in the pan or could I use beer instead ?
5. Should I place the meat on the top or bottom grille ?
6. Should I use a mop while cooking and if so how often ?
7. Can you hot smoke fish in the Amigo ?

Lol... sorry, I said a couple of questions and half a page later... Embarassed

Thanks in advance for any information guys.

Canyoufixitdad
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-06-19

Back to top Go down

First attempt questions Empty Re: First attempt questions

Post  Mack Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:37 am

Welcome to the forum!

1. Does the thermometer in the lid have to be calibrated or is it ready to rock 'n' roll ?
The thermometer in the Amigo is more of a gauge, for accurate temperature readings you will need to get a digital thermometer.
2. Wood chips, wet or dry ?
I never wet wood chips... Wrap them in foil, poke a hole in it and toss it onto the Charcoal.
3. I'm thinking about doing a brisket, so I've read that it's going to be a few hours depending on certain factors. But do I put one lot of wood chips in a foil bag then change them during the cook after a few hours or just stick with the one parcel throughout ?
Brisket is a tough one to start with, I suggest going with a chicken first, to learn how your smoker works, but if that's really what you want to do, then you're looking at a 8 - 18 hour long cook (depending on the size and cut of the brisket). You'll need to replace the wood chips a few times.
4. How much water in the pan or could I use beer instead ?
You can use beer, but it'll be a waste, use water, fill the pan to halfway.
5. Should I place the meat on the top or bottom grille ?
I'd go for the top grill.
6. Should I use a mop while cooking and if so how often ?
Inject the brisket with your favorite marinade (coca cola/ beef stock works well), slather it with mustard and apply rub... no need to mop it. Make sure the brisket has enough fat on it to keep it moist throughout the cook.
7. Can you hot smoke fish in the Amigo ?
Yes!
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Canyoufixitdad Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:29 pm

Thanks for that info Mack.

Yes, should start easy but the pictures on the net of the brisket...mmmm. What would be correct cut to ask from the butcher (uk) ?

Canyoufixitdad
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  gandalf Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Canyoufixitdad wrote:Thanks for that info Mack.

Yes, should start easy but the pictures on the net of the brisket...mmmm. What would be correct cut to ask from the butcher (uk) ?

I just go to my butcher and ask for brisket. I don't get a whole one as they have always been cut into joint size pieces and rolled and tied. When I get home I just cut the string and unroll it. The joint size pieces are fine for me as I live alone, if you want a whole one or a bigger piece, you might have to order it in advance.
gandalf
gandalf
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down